Tuesday, February 7, 2012

february is for girls


I have had some interesting encounters in the last few weeks.
Valentine's Day does some strange things to people.
I overheard an amusing conversation between two girls, saying that Valentine's Day made them sick. That they avoid it at all costs, because it's just a stupid day for spoiled rich girls to demand more of the men in their lives.
Did I mention that they said "hate" like "haaaaaaaaate", and that they were single?

We've also had an ongoing office conversation on this fiery topic. One opinion is that Valentine's Day is a completely ridiculous, corporation-driven holiday where people spends billions of dollars when they could be using that same money to better the world. I do agree with that -- if every single person in America that was going to buy a Valentine's Day card, or a bouquet of flowers, or a piece of jewelry, dedicated that amount of money to a good cause... it would be pretty monumental.
BUT -- what about birthdays? Christmas? Easter? Why are we buying chocolate eggs, when we can use that money to feed the children?
And, let's be honest -- any stastistic at its largest effect, combining every person in the US, is obviously ridiculous. I mean, I don't hear him complaining about the 28 million pounds of potato chips or the 325.5 million gallons of beer that are consumed on Super Bowl Sunday! And that's just disgusting!
The point is, if we're going to spend money on silly useless gifts like flowers and chocolate (and let's face it America, we ARE going to spend ridiculous amounts of money on useless gifts), then what better cause is there than love?
L-O-V-E.
(I also ought to mention that the owner of that opinion also stated that they buy their spouse flowers on an almost monthly basis -- so doesn't that mean they're spending even more money that could be better spent elsewhere??)
I motion that Valentine's Day doesn't have to be a corporation-driven holiday. It could be a time to dress up nice, and have a night in. Take time aside to write loves notes. And yes, we should be loving to one another on more than just one day a year -- but I think of all the money-wasting holidays out there, this is the least offensive! It encourages date nights and pretty flowers, bright cards and extra kisses.
Even before I had a husband or even a boyfriend, and even when I was little, I gave out cards to my bestest friends and was happy to see little paper hearts and red and pink decor everywhere.
I'm quite confused by the truly offended, hateful naysayers of St. Valentine.

On that note, here are some of my favorite choices for inexpensive, handmade, small business type gifts for this lovely month of February. :)

RED
 

 


















SWEETS




FOR THE BIRTHDAY GIRL
(Amethyst is February's lovely stone!)





There are so many lovely things in the world.
And I, for one, am going to list Valentine's Day as one of them :)

In love,
Cait

3 comments:

  1. I will second your motion with every fiber of my non-romantic being. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for Valentines, too, Caitlin. I've spent silly amounts of $$ on gifts for my Valentines every year. I've yet to hear any of them complain:)
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this caitlin. You make a great point and I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete