Tuesday, February 26, 2013

the long weekend

I have completely forgotten how to be by myself.

I'm actually pretty impressed that I managed it. Dusty was gone all weekend for a Mediation Tournament (for those of you who don't know what that is, go ahead and Google it because I'm certain I'd only confuse you more).
Because I'm an introvert at heart, I was actually kind of excited for the chance to reconnect with my fascinating self.
But come to find out, BAM. I am really boring to be around.

I have melded into Dusty's wife. We have become one. I am no longer on my own, and I get really lonely when he's away. It was a weird realization. I couldn't fall asleep, I had to keep a light on, everything was quiet, I had to turn on a fan and put on music...it was sad. Even with no one else around to witness it, I knew in my heart that it was sad.
Friday night was a blur, and I was in the throws of depression already from watching Downton Abbey so we'll just skip that.
Saturday, I was proud of myself. I got up. I got dressed. I was cute. I went downtown, fancy downtown, and I sat in my favorite coffee shop and read in my favorite nook all day long.




As you can see, they transformed this old store front, complete with its platformed window displays, into little reading nooks. Complete with comfy chairs, side tables and lamps. It's picture perfect.
The coffee shop/bookstore continues back into a quaint ensemble of wooden floors, hanging lights, Tolkien-inspired art and freshly roasted coffee.
They have the most delicious breakfast and lunch menu...they feature local produce and meat, and they use dairy products from a local farm. Their milk and cream and goat cheese is divine. 
This is the second time I've spent an entire Saturday there, and I hope it's not the last. I dream about it when I'm not there, and never want to leave once I am there.

My only complaint?
People sneaking in on my window display.
Excuse me, does this look like a double-display of fashionable mannequins at a local Belk? I don't think so!
This is a one person nook, despite the two chairs, no arguments, please.
My feet aren't just propped here for comfort...they're the signal that says, "Do not Enter".
Punishable by glare.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never climb those stairs and crawl over a stranger's happy, reading self to get to the other chair in that cozy little haven. It's too personal. It's too perfect. Too intimate to interrupt.
But, I had two different people awkwardly come and go while I was enjoying my stay.
One of the girls took her shoes off.
Please explain this behavior to me.


That afternoon, once I finished my last sip of iced lavender latte, I decided it was time to head home.
I ran a few errands, and then arrived at my empty apartment.
It was quiet again. Too quiet.
So I watched an entire season of America's Next Top Model. Yeah, that happened.
I'm not proud of it, and yet, I can't really bring myself to regret it.

The evening's progression.






I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. 
They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, 
outside of the girl you love, of course.
-Mark Twain


I stumbled into bed with Enya playing in my ear, and Sunday morning dawned bright and lovely.

I spent the day with Disney, playing Tangled, Mulan and Gnomeo and Juliet while cleaning the house. 
I thoroughly cleaned every inch of the place, and felt extremely accomplished by the end!


I also fixed a yummy casserole dinner and ran out to buy Dusty some new clothes in celebration of his qualification for nationals! 
He's going to be heading to Chicago in April to compete. So exciting!

What a weekend. 
I'm glad to have my husband back, and there are only 10 days until we fly away to LONDON!
I can hardly believe it. London and Paris, here we come!
Considering my issues with packing...I should probably start now.
:)

In love,
Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment